Well my first impression of puppy school is that it's quite biased towards multi-person homes. There are are some excersizes that require two people that we do in class and... well.... it's kindof like needing someone to do the three legged race and having.... Lola. Who is great in general, but not particularly helpful when we need to pretend like there's someone else there helping me to do whatever activity it is. So I think there should be a single-person-puppy school where they don't do any partner excersizes. Or they should provide a partner when you have a very friendly and happy and excitable puppy who just wants to bounce around and smell everything. I may find someone on the street and pay them $20 to help me next week (just kidding mom.... no strangers) But if anyone else wants to come I'll pay you with a six pack!
Otherwise puppy school was great! Lola was very wiggly and excited to get to know all of the people and puppies but besides being a little overexcitable she was very good. There are also a lot of puppies around her size which helps. There's a golden, two labs, a heeler (I think), a boxer, a gigantic puppy that I have no idea what it is, and an assortment of small dogs. After getting a good look at the boxer I'm not so sure that Lola has a lot of boxer in her (she's way cuter and her head is about ten times bigger) But we worked on 'sit' and 'come' and some excersizes for how to teach them to be held and lifted and restrained etc. Lola was very good at those because I'm still toting her around half the time... even though she's getting a little large! In fact did a bunch of situps on Monday and when I went to pick her up Tuesday morning it was quite the struggle! Today we go to the vet again to get her rabies shots (yay!) and so I'll update you with her weight. If she's continued gaining what she was between her last two trips to the vet she should be around 22-23 lbs. oh boy!
Also fun fact for those of you who have dogs - the way the lady said to train them to be quiet is to use lime juice and to squirt it in their mouth when they're barking and say 'quiet'. Apparently the lime juice is very sour and they really don't like it. We're also supposed to practice that next week but the only time Lola barks is actually at puppy school... so that's a blessing and a curse I guess. Shes' quiet but she also can't practice. C'est la vie.
Update from the vet will be coming soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment