Week 2 was (if I do say so myself) much more successful than week 1. I had the best helper/co-conspirator ever in Mom who generously came up and helped Wednesday evening at puppy school and then spent the night in my non-air-conditioned abode. This week at puppy school was a lot more about how to get a generally well-behaved dog, not necessarily learning tricks. Although I really REALLY want to learn how to teach 'stay' we worked on more things like making sure that lola won't freak out if you grab her out of the blue, will be ok with having her paws and ears and everything touched, and will not get defensive or aggressive if you interrupt her eating. We are also supposed to work on having her wait to take a treat from a person until the person says it's ok. Lola is not so hot at that one. Patience is not her best quality I would say... but it's really not mine either so I don't blame her. Maybe if the treats were less delicious it would be easier but the puppy loves her buffalo jerky snacks. Probably the most entertaining parts of puppy school, however, were playtime and watching other people with their puppies. Playtime is everybody's favorite part of class. This week Lola had two very good friends, Sarah (black lab) and Duke (golden) who she loooooves to play with. Duke sits next to us and it is hard to keep them apart during class. Also he's really cute so it's a struggle for me not to pet him as well! The most entertaining owner/puppy dynamic to observe is this couple who have the boxer puppy. They are about my age... maybe a year or two older... and they clearly do not have children yet. However, they seem to think that this puppy is a child and bounce it on their knee and feed it cheetos as a snack. In case you were unsure I'm 100% confident that cheetos are not a suggested dog treat. Anyways it is clear that this puppy runs their lives and they have little control over it (even though she's still just a puppy) so I am of the opinion that it's probably good that they are getting a puppy before they have kids. You can't feed infants cheetos either.
Post-puppy class mom and Lola had some quality time. If I ever lose Lola I know the first place to go looking for her :)
Also update on this weekend! We first went to the Attig's new house in Portland and it's absolutely beautiful! There is a big back yard and Rick and Will schooled me in croquet. Even though Lola tried to help me out her mouth wasn't quite big enough to pick up the croquet ball and put it through the wicket for me. We had a delicious chinese food dinner and then I headed south to Corvallis for the Company picnic on Sunday! It was a perfect day at the lake (yes it was hot! I went swimming!) and there were even puppy friends for Lola. The best was a St. Bernard puppy named Sarge. He was 8 weeks old and looked like a stuffed animal he was so so cute! Lola really liked to play with him... if 'playing' means standing over him and jumping over him and letting him bite her face. But I am not one to judge and she seemed to have a great time! It was pretty funny when she was completely standing over him and he was underneath her trying to bite her tail. We had a great weekend and Lola had a wonderful time with her new (and old) friends and was completely exhausted last night. Yay for a sleepy puppy!
No comments:
Post a Comment