Sunday, April 29, 2012

One Year Old

Unfortunately I don't actually know when Lola's birthday is. But it is sometime around ...... now! so

 HAPPY BIRTHDAY LOLA! 

I had a great time celebrating Jake's 21st birthday with his friends in Portland last night so I think I need a bit of a break from birthday celebrations. However I will definitely be having an adoption day party so fear not party people! 

On the subject of Birthday/Adoption Day/Lola getting older I wanted to let you know that for the next two (ish) months I'm going to post the top 10 reasons you should adopt a doggy. I recognize that adoption isn't possible for everyone, but I can't imagine a puppy like Lola sitting in the Humane Society waiting for someone to love her. Or a puppy like Lola being adopted by someone who wouldn't have the time and energy to care for her. As a lot of you know we grew up with a dog, Salty, who ended up coming to our family because her previous owners weren't fully equipped to handle her. Although she didn't fit into her previous owner's lifestyle she was perfect for our family. Salty was there when I left in the morning to go to elementary school and when I came home from Princeton after a miserable day of traveling. She protected us from potential threats (like hugging grandparents) and was probably smarter than the average second grader. It may sound odd to say about a dog but having Salty taught me about respect, responsibility, and what it really means to be relied upon in ways that I'm not sure I would have learned otherwise. I guess I always knew that as soon as I had a place with enough space I wanted a dog. And although I toyed with the idea of getting a particular breed (because of allergies) I literally could not have found a better buddy if I spent a million dollars and searched the world over. I think sometimes things are just meant to be - even if it's not quite the way you planned it. So happy first birthday to my constant companion and furry best friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment